Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rain Rain Go away.........

Please come again another day.... anywhere but here....... please....

today is a Sunday..... i have been hit by Monday blues yet again. Well this happens practically every weekend, only the "torrential" rains made me even more gloomier....

Yesterday was good.... just as the day was supposed to be in spring... warm, not too hot, bright and as if full of life

Being in Calcutta, I never believed the weatherman. When they say it would rain, you will not, repeat , you will not see a single person carrying an umbrella.

I already noticed that the weatherman here is definitely more accurate, but somehow after seeing such a beautiful Saturday I decided to take the prediction with a pinch of salt.

So I decided to go meet a friend in Stamford, but needed to do laundry before I go there. However get the car to car wash while I do the laundry to remove the stubborn tar marks. Laundry was not on the list, but constant nagging by my soon to be better half made me add that to the list.

Last night when I went out for a "customary" smoke after dinner, I saw a few drops fall. Well it was predicted that the rain would start late evening and a heavy downpour is expected. So I am all set. It is just "drizzling".

I got up in the morning expecting a beautiful day, but faced a really ugly yucky day. It was raining, as the weatherman said it would. Downpour....

For anyone who is thinking that car wash could be taken off of the list, that's not because the rain would do the work of a car wash, but because the car wash is closed. The tar still remains.

Now I tried to convince my fiance innumerable times that doing laundry on such a day was stupidity of the biggest magnitude, but, as it turns out, she would have none of that.

Now to save the day and my plans, I decided that I would at least go and meet my friend as soon as the laundry is done.

.........


A day that started off bad has just become worse. In an attempt to finish laundry as quickly as possible so that I can be on my way to Stamford, I dumped all my clothes into the washer, put the coins in and started the machine, only to see a pack of cigarettes floating around in the water when it is being filled. Now I tried hard to open the door of the front loading machine, but the machine was one mean SOB, it would not open. I sent as SOS to the Hispanic lady who was overseeing the facility.

She came and looked at my predicament, and said "You are screwed." I was very kind and said "thank you for the reality check, Can you help me out?" She said "No. Once these machines start, the doors open only after it does its job". How is that possible? I wanted to lecture those makers of those machines on usability and what not. At this time after resigning to my fate, I started thinking of ways to reduce the smell of wet tobacco that would permeate my clothes. I have a feeling that my day could not be worse. Ok so I can get to a departmental store and get some fragrant sheets that are used while drying the clothes. I have around 40 minutes before that machine stops, so I should be easily back by that time.

So I went to the car and was checking my pockets for the keys. This, mind you in that incessant rain. Two pockets, down and two to go and I already started to have a feeling that the keys might actually be in the washer.

No I did not take off my jeans and put them in the washer, I had the keys in my hands when i was dumping my clothes into the washer. Checking my other pockets just confirmed my feeling.

Now, totally drenched, teeth chattering, (the wind speed was close to 30 mph), I went into the laundromat for some relief. By now I just wanted to have some technique of Bruce Lee so that I can freakin break open the washer. And I could hear my keys knocking themselves against the drum of the washer.

This lady saw me all drenched and came with a towel towards me. I was so touched by her gesture. I was about to thank her when she dropped the towel to the floor so that the puddle that I created does not expand any more. This time I thought that the skills of Jet Li would suffice.

The washer stopped, I frantically checked for tobacco strewn all over my shirts and I didn't find any. So I curiously took the packet out and noticed that it was empty. Now I cannot kick myself, can I?

Anyway, I was a bit dry, still shivering, put the clothes in a dryer, got my keys out and decided that I didn't need those fragrant sheets. I wanted to get into the dryer, but a notice which said "Not a toy, please do not let children climb into the dryer". So better sense prevailed and in an attempt not to make my day any worse, I refrained.

After 40 more minutes, I went back to the car, this time keys in my hand and opened the trunk, and I see my umbrella in there. But deciding that it's not time to be self deprecating, I loaded my clothes into the trunk and went back home

I got back and already felt that I might be running fever. But a shower made me feel better and I decided that I should continue on my plan of going to Stamford.

...........

Great..... roads are jammed and a few accidents have almost rendered the roads useless, so I came back after attempting to go to the highway. Not in a mood to let my Sunday go waste, I decided that I would go to the Desi bazaar to get some DVDs and eat some piping hot Indian food.

Glad that I am armed with my umbrella and not letting the rain dampen my spirits, I went to the Desi bazaar. I parked my car and went to dosa house. I got a Mysore masala dosa and started to eat it. One bite and hmmm its heaven......

Oh wait.... nooooooooooooo...... its freaking hell... what is this pain that shot out of my mouth and went all over the head and I felt I almost died.

I then realized that I have a very sensitive tooth and cannot eat anymore. I ran to the departmental store and got Orajel and used it after which the shooting pain subdued. I got wet once again.

I drove back with one hand on my cheek and decided that next time it rains, I am going to stay indoors and play mad gab.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mario U write very well...n readin this article of urs i was actually smilin though u were dyin in pain(m sorry for tht)...lovely interpretation of wat u went thru n a lil bit of spice added...keep up the good work...;-)